First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal
Awarded to U.S. Navy and Marine Corps personnel having participated in amphibious actions in Nicaragua between July 29 and November 14, 1912. The following naval commands, and all embarked United States Marines, were eligible for the First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal: USS Annapolis (gunboat); USS California (cruiser); USS Cleveland (cruiser); USS Colorado (cruiser); USS Denver (cruiser); USS Glacier (supply ship); USS Maryland (armored cruiser); USS Tacoma (cruiser); The medal for the First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal displayed a volcano, rising from a lake, with the words “Nicaraguan Campaign” and the date 1912 on the edges of the medal. The medal, itself, was suspended from a red ribbon with two thick blue stripes. On the reverse of each medal was a Navy or Marine Corps crest, depending on which branch of service the recipient was a member. The First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal was a one time only decoration and there were no devices or attachments authorized. The Nicaraguan Campaign Medal is was authorized by Presidential Order of Woodrow Wilson on September 22, 1913. The medal was again authorized by an act of the United States Congress on November 8, 1929. The Nicaraguan Campaign Medal is therefore considered as two separate decorations, commonly referred to as the First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal and the Second Nicaraguan Campaign Medal.